Tuesday 5 April 2016

Motherhood Truth #6 Somehow, you just DO.

I've not blogged much recently...must be something to do with the enormous baby I'm growing and the enormous cheeky monkey I'm chasing around each day. My life has been full and rich. and it's given me plenty to write about.

When I was pregnant with Isaac, I suffered with a life threatening emergency when I was about 24 weeks pregnant. It was a really challenging time and for the rest of the pregnancy, I was very tired and I think my body was too. Despite this, I loved being pregnant. I had a big all-out-in-front bump, and I felt beautiful.



This time around, I was surprised by how well I could feel!! HOWEVER. I had not bargained for the challenge of running around after a busy little 2 yr old fireman/helicopter pilot/sailor/builder all day.
Whilst my health is tip top this time around, my body is struggling a little more. I have something called SPD. It affects the joints in your pelvis. For me, the area most effected is the joints in the base of my back. It makes everything hard. Even just 30 seconds bent over to do up Isaac's straps in the pram will make my entire day painful. Things have improved a lot over the last couple of days with crutches and stronger painkillers. This complete and absolute necessity to slow down has made me take a hard look at my day to day life,
Here's what I think.

I am incredible.

Mums are incredible.

Before I had crutches, I hobbled around everyday, doing everything I usually do, but in a lot of pain. Now I have something I can use for support, I think to myself "How on earth did I do it." The answer? Sometimes you just DO. We might not like it, but we do it. That's healthy, I think.

Motherhood is the most intense experience of my life. I feel like I've got my fingers in a million pies. My head is constantly on the go. It's not just thinking about dinner, or the washing, it's thinking about the baby, it's thinking about what book to read to Isaac today, how much Fireman Sam he can watch, what on earth we can do about his little tantrums...it's thinking about how much I love him, how I can be a better mother, what I can do to help my Husband with his work.....and, if I'm lucky, it's planning a time when I can put on some make-up...
The demands on our thoughts are never ending, let alone our physical commitments, and any physical/emotional challenges we are facing.

How do we do it. Sometimes, we just DO. It goes against all logic! But we have to, and I think it's pretty cool.

When Isaac injured his finger last year, I was at the hospital every other day getting his dressings changed. I was at the big hospital every other week about his fractured leg. I was also dealing with morning sickness. You know, I had moments during that month where I felt like the worst mother ever. I also had moments where I felt like a superhero. I look back now and I think "How did I do it?" Well, you can see where this is going.

I believe God allows our lives to be hard sometimes, because he loves us. Because, whilst he hurts when we hurt, he must be overjoyed when we triumph, and thrilled when we turn to him for help. Imagine how he feels when we realise just how amazing we are- how capable we are.

My findings on this particular motherhood truth have made me realise that maybe we just DO because maybe, just maybe, we just ARE.

We ARE amazing.

 Nothing has taught me that more than being a mother and a wife, and feeling so much love for Isaac and Ieuan, and feeling so much love from them. When I do something that makes Isaac happy, or that he loves, he'll just up and kiss me. And I feel special. I feel like a good Mummy. (see below, our cinema trip on Saturday morning.... the "Uuuuuuuuge television" was a Uuuuuuuge hit)

 I know I am a child of God. I'm grateful that he has given me qualities that help me to cope at difficult times...because those difficult times help me to realise just how special I am.


2 comments:

  1. Great post Rach and so true! You sometimes cope because you just have to and you my dear, do a wonderful job!

    Manning Meanderings, Mishaps and Musings

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete